Sunday, December 2, 2012
I never seemed to find the time in November to make an intricate Advent Calendar. My oldest daughter, Judi, made one of these when she was in Girl Scouts, and I used it for years with my five children. I've revived it for the grandchildren throughout the years. This year, I had lost the text, but, voila, I found it on the Internet. Is there anything you can't find there? The children take turns removing the candy canes, in order of age. It's not only an Advent Calendar...it's a lesson in math and manners too!
Labels: Christmas Projects
since I've been on here. And it's not because I haven't been sewing. With a heavy travel schedule in the spring and summer for family events, I have simply neglected my blog. I realized I need to catch up so that I can start posting this year's Christmas projects. My son, Rob, in New Orleans, was one of my biggest clients, and the most challenging, this year. After having a sofa reupholstered, he asked me to make a bolster and throw pillows for it. With sewing machine in the trunk, my husband and I made a trip there at the first of the year. Rob and I scoured fabric shops and he selected this fabric. At first, I was a little dubious, but then, I fell in love with it. I browsed numerous blogs and pictures of bolsters before actually cutting the fabric. However, I ended up mostly winging it, as he wanted a larger bolster than most of those I saw. The biggest hurdle was the rounded ends encircled by the braid. Tough sewing on a small sewing machine. Thank goodness for strong glue to seal off the ends. Although I had only bargained for the bolster/pillows on this trip, Rob also asked for lace panels for his floor-to-ceiling, typical New Orleans style windows. I had made silk curtains for those several years ago. Piece of cake compared to a bolster! A couple of months later, Rob requested a speaker cozy. I have made speaker cozies for him before. The two were a pair and rather large. Rob requested quilted fabric and a zipper on three sides. They were sort of like two big boxes. This one was easier...only four sides and a top. However, the measurements had to be precise to allow for the handle on the top. I found an upholstery fabric with a fleur-de-lys design, which seemed appropriate. I'm always nervous when sewing a project off site, but the measurements worked.