Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Custom Kindle Cover

My daughter recently requested a custom Kindle cover. Our Kindle 1 covers had included an inside pocket and a pencil holder, but the Kindle 2 covers did not have these. I started out with a padded e-reader cover pattern from the Etsy shop Birdiful Stitches and made some adjustments: vertical pockets instead of horizontal and an elastic loop for a pencil. I decided also that I would like to have a firm cover rather than a soft one. I used PresOn Self-Stick Mounting Board designed for stitchery work. Before enclosing the bottom of the cover, I inserted the board, one piece to each side, leaving room in the middle for flexibility to close the cover with the pencil in place.

My daughter is an engineer (and a chocoholic) so I wanted something geometric in design. The fabric is Triskele by Poetryqn from Spoonflower. Here's her description of the fabric. "I enjoy playing with shapes and color and everything around me is grist for the mill. In this case, I was sharing a bag of chocolate kisses with an Irish friend and one thought careened into the other: Celtic Triskele with red chocolate kisses..."

 

Custom Kindle Cover

 

Inside

 

Pocket and Pencil Loop Placement

 
Posted by Picasa

Back of cover

1 comment:

suzanne said...

That turned out beautifully!